- Seedling Size: 18-24″
- Seedling Age: 3-0
- Mature Height: 5 – 12 feet
- Mature Width: 5 – 12 feet
- Soil Type: Acidic, clay, loamy, sandy, silty loam, well-drained, wide range
- Moisture: Dry, moderate or moist
- Sun: Full sun, partial shade or shade
- Growth Rate: Slow
Key Characteristics of Winterberry
- In the late spring, small white flowers bloom.
- Bark is smooth and dark grey.
- Leaves are simple and obovate with sharply double toothed margins.
- Bright red berries are produced in the late summer and persist into January.
Visitors Attracted to Winterberry
- Henry’s elfin butterfly (Callophrys henrici)
- American robin (Turdus migratorius)
- Cedar waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum)
Help Control Invasives!
Winterberry makes a great alternative to Japanese barberry (Berberis thunbergii), which can compete with native understory plants in natural areas.