- Seedling Size: 6-12″
- Seedling Age: 2-0
- Mature Height: 50 – 80 feet
- Mature Width: 20 – 40 feet
- Soil Type: Acidic, drought tolerant, well-drained
- Moisture: Dry, moderate or moist
- Sun: Full sun or partial shade
- Growth Rate: Fast
Key Characteristics of White Pine
- Dark, thick and rough, the bark is deeply furrowed.
- Pollen cones form in June. Seed cones produced in late June, 6-8 inches long at ripening.
- Its 2-5 inch long needles come in bundles of five. Needles are soft to the touch.
Visitors Attracted to White Pine
- Pine elfin (Callophrys niphon)
- Pine devil moth (Citheronia sepulcralis)
- Bluebird (Sialia spp.)
White Pine Tips
For planting, white pine does best in partial shade or in the understory of other trees. The minimum spacing recommended is 7′ x 7′ and the maximum is 15′ x 15′.