- Seedling Size: 12-18″
- Seedling Age: 2-0
- Mature Height: 5 – 10 feet
- Mature Width: 5 – 10 feet
- Soil Type: Acidic, Sandy
- Moisture: Dry, Moderate, Moist
- Sun: Full Sun, Partial Shade
- Growth Rate: Slow
- Useful for filling bare, sandy areas, and is considered salt tolerant.
- Berries grow only on female plants. Birds eat them in winter and they can be used to make wax.
- Leaves are a leathery, dark green and aromatic when crushed. Semi-evergreen, minimal fall color.
A Few Species Attracted to Northern Bayberry
Help Control Invasives!
Try Northern bayberry instead of invasive Japanese barberry (Berberis thunbergii). Barberry is highly aggressive in natural areas and has been shown to create conditions that favor increased tick densities.