- Seedling Size: 12-24″
- Seedling Age: 1-0
- Mature Height: 6 – 20 feet
- Mature Width: 6 – 15 feet
- Soil Type: Well-drained, fertile
- Moisture: Moist
- Sun: Full sun or partial shade
- Growth Rate: Medium
Key Characteristics of Red Elderberry
- Produces white flowers in the spring and red fruits in late June – August.
- In the fall, the leaves turn red before being shed for the winter.
- The dense roots and rhizomes make it useful for soil stabilization and erosion control on moist sites including streambanks
Visitors Attracted to Red Elderberry
- Ruffed Grouse (Bonasa umbellus)
- Wood Thrush (Hylocichla mustelina)
- Red-Eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus)
Help Control Invasives!
Red elderberry makes a great alternative to the invasive Bush honeysuckles (Lonicera morrowii, L. tatarica).