- Seedling Size: 6-12″ (12-24″ available here)
- Seedling Age: 3-0
- Mature Height: 25 – 60 feet
- Mature Width: 10 – 15 feet
- Soil Type: Neutral or slightly alkaline, well-drained but moist
- Moisture: Dry, moderate or moist
- Sun: Full sun, partial shade or shade
- Growth Rate: Slow
Key Characteristics of Northern White Cedar
- The bark is red-brown, furrowed and peels in narrow, longitudinal strips.
- Cones are slender, yellow-green ripening brown, and are typically about 0.5″ long.
- Needles are fused together and look matted.
- Flood tolerant but sensitive to salt.
Vistors Attracted to Northern White Cedar
- Cape May warbler (Setophaga tigrina)
- House finch (Haemorhous mexicanus)
- American robin (Turdus migratorius)
Using Northern White Cedar as a Windbreak?
If you’d like to use your northern white cedar for a windbreak, the recommended spacing is 8′ x 8′.